Background and short history
Muuvit is based on the work of an independent association called Nuori Suomi ry (Young Finland Association), which has been promoting healthy lifestyles for Finnish children for over 20 years. The activities of Young Finland have been transferred to “Finnish Sports Confederation” (Valo) as of January 1, 2013. This new umbrella organization has been founded by the The Finnish Sports Federation, Young Finland Association, Finnish Sport for All Association and the Finnish Olympic Committee.
International operations and development
Founded at the beginning of 2011, Muuvit Health and Learning Oy Ltd. is in charge of the international operations and partnerships. Our mission is to make healthy living easily accessible and fun.
A short history of Muuvit
- Originally developed in Finland, Muuvit (“Liikuntaseikkailu” in Finnish) has been running in Finnish schools since 2000.
- Over 2 million children have been participating Muuvit ever since.
- Nov 2009: the first Muuvit pilot project starts in Germany with VfL Wolfsburg and Ministry for Education in Lower Saxony.
- Jan 2010: the first simultaneous adventure in three countries begins with schools from Helsinki, Munich and Zürich.
- May 2010: Muuvit wins the internalization prize of Tekes, the Finnish Funding Agency for Technology and Innovation.
- Sep 2010: the World Heart Federation and UEFA comes on board. They have been supporting Muuvit as partners ever since.
- Oct 2010: in Hamburg and Zurich 14 local and regional programmes are integrated into Muuvit.
- Nov 2010-Mar 2011: 16,000 children take part in the German Muuvit – in the first five months.
- Mar 2011: Muuvit Health and Learning Oy Ltd. is founded.
- Sep 2011: The English version of the adventure goes live.
- Oct 2011: Swiss Health Promotion agency and Muuvit start a multiplication project in Switzerland.
- Feb 2012: Polish, Russian and Ukrainian versions of Muuvit are opened
- April 2012: Muuvit is part of the UEFA EURO 2012 – Respect your Health Campaign.
- July 2012: Swiss retailer Migros becomes corporate partner of Muuvit. WWF Switzerland and Suisse Balance / Santé Suisse follow as institutional partners.
- October 2012: French and Italian versions are opened for Switzerland.
- April 2013: Muuvit is opened in Sweden. Celebrating a health campaign of the UEFA Women´s EURO 2013.
- May 2013: Hospital Hill Primary School from Nairobi, Kenya starts as the 1st African school.
- 2013/04/12 News Finnish schools on the Move – A more pleasant and peaceful learning environment
- 2013/03/27 News Muuvit becomes a member of Future Learning Finland
- 2013/03/27 News Polish Ministry of Sport and Tourism to support Muuvit
- 2013/03/04 News WHO and UNESCO on Muuvit
- 2013/02/27 News Muuvit at Education Fair IEFE in Saudi Arabia